Technical Translator / Interpreter (Japanese-English) Remote
Full-time or part-time technical translator / interpreter (Japanese-English) position open as a Lingua Science employee doing translation/interpreting for a major automaker.
The job is currently work-from-home and could remain remote for the right person who has extensive experience in automotive, technical, and/or business fields. If desired, there could also be an opportunity to return to work in an office setting in Ann Arbor, MI or Los Angeles, CA later in 2022.
Paid time off and paid holidays for full-time work.
- Translation of vehicle specifications, drivetrain specifications, manuals, drawings, test procedures, etc. mainly from Japanese into English.
- Proofreading/editing of translated documents.
- Translation of presentation materials, technical reports, other reports, emails, general documents, etc.
- Formatting of translated documents to include source language graphics.
- Interpreting at various video meetings. Meetings could include late afternoon and evening video meetings between US and Japanese offices.
- Collaboration with the translation group to develop and improve translation job systems.
- Support with maintaining and updating terminology lists.
- The job tends to be more translation than interpreting, but the percentage of each may vary from week to week, and depend on candidate availability and interpreting experience.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills in English and Japanese (Japanese skills must be at least JLPT 1 for non-native speakers, or equivalent)
- 2- or 4- year college degree
- At least 3-5 years of translation experience, preferably technical translation and/or business translation in automotive or a technical field
- High level interpreting experience, preferably simultaneous interpreting skills
- Flexible schedule with availability for interpreting at several meetings/week including later afternoons or evenings, depending on the time zone
- Advanced MS Office skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to operate translation software (TRADOS) is a plus
- Ability to follow written instructions, plan, organize, and meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as work long periods by oneself in front of a computer
- Interview would include a brief interpreting test, and a J-E translation test done on PC
F/T or P/T